"The Buzz" Camping & RV News

Hey Buddy! Grab your favorite cold, frosty beverage & pull up a chair by the fire. We've got things to talk about my friend! You have reached the "The Buzz" Camp site & Information Portal...where what happens at the camp fire, stays at the camp fire! Got Wood? That's right, no beavers allowed at our camp! It's time to get your Buzz on, and roast a weiner on a stick, while I share a few entertaining Camping & RV stories with you! .....I know, right? Whether it's about Camping, RV's, the Outdoors, Your Pets, Fishing, Festivals, Golf, Travel, Parks, the Weird & Wacky or any Fun Outdoor Activity ....you can catch your BUZZ here!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Stuffed Buffalo Head Pins Man in Va.

Another bizarre story I just had to share with my fellow campers!

Photo Courtesy of AfricaHunting.com

Jim Harris spent four years in the Marine Corps during the Vietnam War and has thrown Hells Angels out of Maine's biggest biker bar — and never suffered a scratch.

But when a stuffed water-buffalo head with large horns fell off the wall, it took four 911 responders to pull the trophy off of him.
 
The 56-year-old Harris was in his comfy recliner in his rented waterfront home in Tavernier when, he said: "I leaned over to turn on the lamp and ka-pow."

"Bubba," the 200-pound head of a water buffalo shot in Africa, fell off the wall and landed on his head and right side.

The impact knocked him out.

"I guess it's payback for the buffalo, but I'm not even the guy who shot him," Harris said. "It's not even mine. I don't even like hunting."

When the 6-foot-2-inch, 220-pound Harris returned to consciousness more than two hours later, he was trapped under the water buffalo's head.

He was able to reach his cell phone and managed to call 911.
Because he could not put the phone next to his ear to hear what the dispatcher was saying, he just kept repeating his address and saying, "I'm trapped. I'm crushed."
 
Monroe County Sheriff's Office deputies and emergency workers had no idea what to expect when they arrived a few minutes later.

Harris said he was in excruciating pain. He said it took four of them to lift the water-buffalo head.
Rex Andis, who owns Bubba and the house rented to Harris, said it originally took four people to mount the wildlife trophy on the wall.
 
"I looked like the Michelin man when they took me to the hospital," said Harris, who had been stabilized for a possible broken neck.

"I was stuck with needles and had all these IVs in me, and the nurses were all laughing their heads off," Harris said.

He was treated for bruises, a concussion and pinched nerves, and released.

Bubba appeared to be just fine but will have to move.
"I told Rex I want it out of here," Harris said of the head. 

SOURCE:  www.EMS1.com via The Virginian-Pilot

No comments:

Post a Comment